Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pastry Pudding

Pastry pudding, heard of it before? Probably not unless you're from Newfoundland or have dined with Newfoundlanders. It's basically a bread pudding that's baked traditionally right on top of a beef roast in the oven.
A few Christmas's ago my parents came to visit and I decided I wanted to make pastry pudding to accompany our jiggs dinner. So my mom called her mom (my grandmother) to get her recipe. My grandmother is one of the best bakers I know. Seriously, she makes the best pastry (in my opinion, and I don't even really like pastry) which results in the BEST lemon pie....I'm not kidding.
Grandmother Bishops Pastry Pudding:

2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
3-4 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp sugar
2-3 tsp baking powder

Mix with approx 1/2 cup of COLD water. You should have a nice pastry now, not too wet and not too dry.

Now the step that is my take on it, I grease a muffin pan, yep a muffin pan with butter. Instead of the casserole dish or directly on the meat. I think it looks nicer and it's more of a serving size.

Bake in oven at 300 degrees for approx 15 minutes. If you like it crispier, just leave it a bit longer.

Remove from muffin pan and serve hot or at least warm. ENJOY!!



Today's Quote:
"If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another" ~Tenzin Gyatso

1 comment:

Angie said...

Hey Christa, my Dad and I always use milk instead of water in ours. We disagree on our methods though - he warms his milk, I don't. However, we bake ours in muffin tins as well.