Friday, September 12, 2008

Recipe: Portuguese Rice

I know a lot of Portuguese people, my last job employed about 70% portuguese which meant the Christmas party, picnic, awards ceremony were always catered by Portuguese caterers, and led to me falling in love with Portuguese food. My favourites being the parisienne potatoes....they're like mini white potatoes, and they cook them in a traditional portuguese pepper sauce (some call it peri peri) and a few other ingredients....they're DELICIOUS! They also do their chicken and rice in this same/similar sauce.

Then on to my new job where I have met more portuguese friends, one of whom invited us to her house for a bbg and made rice....portuguese rice....yum! So I asked her for the recipe, pair this up with some grilled chicken or fish, it's great.

Here is my version, tweaked a bit from the co-workers recipe:

Portuguese Rice

2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 white onion
2-3 tbsp portuguese red pepper sauce**
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (dried is okay too)
1 cup chicken or beef broth
1 cup brown rice (NOT minute rice)

In a medium size pot sauté your onion, garlic, olive oil, parsley (careful not to burn) about 2 min.
Add your broth and rice, bring to a boil then turn on lowest setting to simmer for approx 10min.
Add pepper sauce and stir. Return lid to pot and let sit another 10 min. approx or until rice is soft.
*Optional* you can add more sauce here if it doesn't have enough flavour/kick for ya :)

**Sidenote: Most grocery stores that have "ethnic" foods will carry this sauce. It comes in sweet/mild and hot. Kristen and I buy hot (it's not that hot...honest) and mild isn't actually that sweet so you still get the same taste/effect without any heat. I know one brand name is Borges, another starts with an "F" carried at walmart but I can't think of the name of it right now**

Enjoy!  Happy Friday....til Monday!

No comments: