Friday, May 20, 2005

Family Tree

Grandfather Bishop Posted by Hello


This is my great grandfather, John Bishop. He is the father of Guy Bishop who is my mom's dad. He passed away when I was 6 years old, I know I went to the funeral but I don't remember much about it. My fondest memory of him, was him testifying in church. He would get so excited about God and Heaven. Myrna found this picture while going through her families old albums when she was working on her grandmothers scrapbook. I absolutely LOVE this picture. It shows, so well, the lifestyle our great-grandparents had in newfoundland, on the shoreline with two cod. How things have changed.

On to the reason of this blog, I wanted to share my new idea. This picture has inspired me to gather all pictures of all our grandparents and great-grandparents (and farther if possible) to display in our new home. Surprisingly Kristen is supportive of this :) he often thinks my ideas are cheesey....lol. Currently we only have one Great-grandparent living, who is Mom Barnes, on Kristens mom's side. We'll take more pictures of her while we're home this summer to pick the best one for our collection. Along with that I would like to continue figuring out my family tree. With the help of some other peoples reseach I have traced back the tree of my grandmother Bishop, Kristens grandmother Hann, and soon Kristens grandfather Brown. Still a lot of work to do but eventually it is something I would like to complete. I'm planning on spending quite some time talking with my grandparents while I'm home to take advantage of their knowledge before its too late and possibly lost forever.

Here's the one site I have that helped with two of the family trees (Grandmothers Bishop before marriage Parsons and Hann before marriage White) http://www.rumbolt.com/ Never know, you might find someone in your family.




1 comment:

Myrna Hynes said...

I love this pic too. As you said, it's a great photo of our grandfather BUT it is also says so much about what NFLD is, and what it WAS to them.

Great idea to display your family history in your new home. It's a great tribute to them. You wouldn't be who/where you are without them.