Friday, August 21, 2009

Food Friday: Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I bought zucchini from the Farmers Market and then I didn't know what to do with it.
So I asked Myrna for her recipe to make zucchini chocolate cake.
 Here were my results.....
================

In first bowl, blend until smooth:
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
 

In bowl #2, mix:
1/2 cup milk
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla flavouring

In bowl #3, stir together all dry ingredients:
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup cocoa
Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips or walnuts


Gradually alternate adding the zucchini mixture and the dry ingredients to the shortening/sugar/eggs.
Mix and pour into 2 loaf pans - bake for about 50 minutes on 350 degrees.

OR, if you use muffins pans, reduce the time to about 30 minutes.

And voila.....I topped mine with vanilla icing.
YUM!!
Yes the fork is dirty I just HAD to take a bite before taking the photo
So if you're headed out to the Farmers Market tomorrow, buy zucchini and make a veggie cake. Call it your healthy cake.
======================
Have your cake and eat it too!