Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Book & Movie Review

In light of Tara's comment on Monday about Boone being like Marley from Marley & Me I thought I'd do a book & movie review.
Over Christmas I was able to read my free book called Can you Keep a Secret? I loved it! Mainly because it was like watching a romantic comedy. I love romantic comedies, they're probably my favourite type of movies. What can I say? Anyway this book reminded me of that. Yes it was predictable, but it was funny, sad, and witty. I would say it's a chick flick in a book for sure. Would I recommend it? Absolutely (if that's your sort of thing)
Now on to Marley & Me. I loved this movie!!! I've since purchased the book to read. I bawled my eyes out at the theatre in public with friends watching me and giggling. I would not recommend young children seeing this movie. Seriously, even though I loved the movie, I was equally devastated by the movie. The reality of a loved pet getting old and having to make "decisions" was just too real for me now that I'm a dog owner. And even though Marley was a yellow labrador and Boone a golden retreiver, some of the simliarities in the movie were uncanny. For example, the scenes where Marley eats/chews everything, oh yeah that is Boone for sure!! For example, just before Christmas I was putting gifts in a cardboard box to mail to Newfoundland by the time I had put all the gifts in, Boone had chewed off the corner. I don't know how many times we've went running through the house to find an appropriate chew toy to replace the VERY inappropriate item he might have in his mouth at the time. So in light of this, Kristen has suggested my list about Boone be re-named Things we've taken from Boone's mouth.....seems a little more appropriate doesn't it? I'll be updating that list this week, since that one might take me a little longer....  :)
Today's Quote:
"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we are not really living."  ~Gail Sheehy

2 comments:

Angie said...

I can totally relate to the whole decision making regarding a pet. We had our cat put down last April and it was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do. Her ashes now rest in a pretty urn that will eventually hold a photo of her but we're still not ready to have it out in plain sight yet.

Myrna Hynes said...

With the exception of the dish towel, Boone is "reading" like a typical boy with the things he enjoys...remote, hockey stuff, sticks & stones, BRA...lol