Thursday, April 3, 2008

Contentment

I just finished reading today's post on the blog Zen Habits about contentment & happiness. I strongly encourage all of you to go read it.
Here's a few of the points that really stuck out with me:
"...contentment isn’t a matter with being content with your situation in life and never trying to improve it. It’s a matter of being content with what you have — but realizing that as humans, we will always try to improve, no matter how happy we are. If we don’t, we have given up on life"
I especially relate to this because I strongly believe there's always room for improvement but it doesn't mean that I'm not happy with who I am & my current circumstances.
Stop, and consider why you want something. When you feel the urge to buy something, think about whether it’s a need or a want. If it’s a want, take a pause. It’s good to wait 30 days — keep a 30-day list … when you want something, put it on the list with the date, and if you still want it in 30 days, you can buy it). Consider why you want something. Are you not content with what you already have? Why not?
I like this comment because I always have a "wish list" but rarely buy the items on it. The items I do usually end up buying are months down the road and in my opinion are more need than want most of the time. With the execption of a treat to myself every now and then.
Learn to enjoy the simple things. Instead of wanting to buy expensive things, and spend money on doing things like eating out or entertainment, learn to enjoy stuff that’s free. Conversations and walks with other people. Spending time outdoors. Watching a DVD or playing board games. Going to the beach. Playing sports. Running. These things don’t cost much, and they are awesome.
This is the last comment I wanted to point out because we're are such a material world and so caught up in having, owning, comparing to what others have (competing with the Jone's if you will) and really there's so much to life that's free that creates a better quality of life than the things you put in it. Some days I feel at my best after a walk on a warm summer's evening.
Again I want to say that I loved the WHOLE article but these are 3 points that stood out to me. It was such a refreshing article about how good we really do have it.
"God’s gifts put man’s best dreams to shame.” - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments: