Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The American Dream

In general, the American Dream can be defined as having the opportunity and freedom that allows all citizens to achieve their goals in life through hard work and determination alone (as definied by Wikipedia) It also goes on to say; the newest survey in 2006 opened up to include all registered voters and found that "the respondents identified four elements as key to their conception of the American Dream:
-having a job that pays enough to support a family;
-having affordable quality health care;
-being able to ensure your children have the opportunity to succeed; and
-having a secure and dignified retirement.
The reason for me explaining all of this is because Sunday night (actually probably more like Monday morning) I had a conversation with Kristen and a friend about the lives we live and how a lot of us just do what society expects of us. So many people that I know and probably including myself (I only say probably cause I really don't know what I want most days....ha ha) just want a decent job to pay the bills, afford a nice house, and a little bit of extra to give our children comfortable lives and maybe take a trip once every couple of years. Oh and don't forget a bit of money put aside for retirement.
But is that what you TRULY desire for your life? If you won the lottery....is that the life you would live? When money isn't an issue? I think most of you would say no...I could be wrong but I doubt it ;)
Just from past conversations I know of 3 different scenarios that people would be living were $ not the issue....one friend says they would live on a boat and sail the world (not my dream but sure does sound romantic doesn't it?) another says he would definitely live in the country and live off the land. Grow his own veggies, slaughter his own cows and not have to be dependant on anyone or society as a whole (I tell him he's in love with an idea cause once he actually had to do all the hard work he'd be so greatful for modern day grocery stores, LOL ...again his dream, not mine). Another says he'd rather live up north in Yukon/Alaska permanently hunting and fishing. And how many Newfoundlanders do you know that would move home in a heartbeat, if they could?
All of which the above ramblings bring me to this....stop being a victim. Stop crying about what you don't have, be thankful for what you do have and if you really are that unhappy about your current circumstances, then do something about it. It doesn't mean quitting your job tomorrow but it might mean doing a 5 year or 10 year plan so when that time arrives you can finally live your dream. Nothing will be handed to you on a silver platter, so it's time to get your hands dirty, put in some hard work and stop whining.
I conclude with this quote:
"No matter what you are doing, keep the undercurrent of happiness. Learn to be secretly happy within your heart in spite of all circumstances." -- Paramahansa Yogananda

No comments: