Friday, October 10, 2008

Thanksgiving Stuffing

Thanksgiving is on Monday so today I'm going to share my version of stuffing that I LOVE. It's made on the stove top so no need to stuff the bird before hand. Make this about 10-15 minutes before serving your Turkey dinner and you're good to go.
My friend's mom used to make this stuffing and she taught me how to make it. Over the years I've tweaked it a bit to my own liking.
Seasonings you will need:
Pepper, Celery Salt, and Savory (it's a herb easily found at the grocery store)
Veggies you will need:
Chopped green onion, regular white onion, and celery
And bread crumbs. I cut up slices of bread in to cubes. My friend's mom used to freeze leftover bread crusts (most people throw them out) then soak them under warm water. Squeeze out the excess water then she added the seasonings. It's sooo good and moist. My version is the dry version.
Into the bowl, your breads crumbs and seasonings. I would say about 1 tablespoon of savoury, 1/2 - 1 teaspoons of pepper and a dash of celery salt (I don't like it too salty)
In the pan goes about 4-5 tbsp of butter, yes it's a lot but it adds a lot of flavour to everything.
Then add the veggies. Saute til soft.
Then add the bread crumb mixture. Mix well and turn the heat on low. Cover and stir occassionally.
Here's a tip, if you like a bit of crunch to your bread crumbs leave the lid off. If you want it softer turn the heat off and leave the lid on. I like crunch cause then I smother it in gravy :) Mmm...getting hungry just thinking about it.
And here's the finished product!! Delicious.
This same stuffing can go in the turkey and roasted. The only difference is no need to fry anything before hand. Add seasonings, raw veggies, bread, room temperature butter, in one bowl...mix WELL and stuff the bird...voila :)
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!
Today's Quote:
“If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn’t ask me, I’d still have to say it.” - George F. Burns

1 comment:

Daph's Amazing Kids said...

Mmmmmmmm, yummy :)