Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Recipe - Christa's Chili

Okay......this past weekend I was the photographer for a wedding on Saturday, I had a maternity photo shoot Sunday morning, I'm slowly adjusting to having a puppy in the house (who is GREAT but I'm very sleep deprived) and tonight I have another photo shoot. I'm exhausted, overwhelmed & have definitely put too much on my plate for the next little while, but sooooo happy & grateful that my life is the way it is.
Since I haven't sorted & edited all my photos, today's post will be one I've been meaning to do for a while. It's my chili recipe....it's not an exact science and the end result is generally the same but sometimes with a different twist depending on what I've tried that time around.
First your ingredients....ground beef, red kidney beans (drained), diced tomatoes, tomateo paste, chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped peppers (I use red & green) spices (this recipe I used curry, cumin, chili powder, and celery salt) and of course salt & pepper. Oh and I also tried some Canadian Saffron that I bought at St. Jacobs Farmers market earlier this summer (end result - I didn't notice a difference. I think I'll try it in a chicken dish to see if it makes a difference)
Brown the ground beef
Then add all the ingredients to a big pot! That clock is 9:54am I like to let a pot of chili simmer on low for a few hours.
See how pretty? Oh a trick if you don't have all the spices in your house, for example, just salt and pepper. Then when you buy your groceries pick up a pack of Old El Paso - Chili Seasoning does the same thing and a lot less fuss.
My favourite thing to have with chili is cheesy garlic bread ...Mmm!! Here's the end product. It's a big batch because I like to freeze meals since it's an all day process for the most part. And it tastes great thawed & reheated (easy & quick meal idea when you're running low on food because it's grocery week)
Try this recipe on a cold winters day when all you want to do is curl up with a blanket to read a book or watch a movie and smell the aroma of chili simmering on the stove :)
Not quite the vision you want in your head when it's August and 25 degress out....ha ha. But hey? Fall is just around the corner...I love fall!
Happy Tuesday....Til Next Time

No comments: