Tuesday, May 2, 2006

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Well Stephanie had mentioned the book "A Prayer for Owen Meany" on her blog quite a while ago and I decided to read it. I checked it out of the Acton library in March sometime. You get a 3 week borrowing time and you can renew up to 3 times "I think" well I struggled and struggled, I renewed the book once have a $0.20 late fee sitting on the books at the Acton library and now I have a block because I forgot to renew it the 2nd time. I have about 30-50 pages left I guess but this morning I said screw it. I gave the book to Kristen to return this afternoon on his way home from work. Don't get me wrong my overall impression of the book is that I liked it but it was soooo slow for me. I really really struggled to stay interested but being stubborn I really didn't want to quit. I know Stephanie said this was her friends favourite book and in a way I can see how but in another way I don't know how she ever got through it. Did she take it in an english class? Anyway I'm supposed to have "A Million Little Pieces" on hold at the Acton library (if they let me have it after this fiasco) so I'll let you know what I think of that one later.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That is so funny because I felt exactly the same way. I could not get into it and like I said I can usually read anything. I did finish it and really enjoyed the ending of the book but I can see how you had a hard time.